Mac Common Errors
Error - There is no application set to open the document "endnoteexport.ris".
If you recieve this message when trying to open a .ris file:
- Click "Choose Application..."
- Navigate to your Applications folder
- Open the EndNote folder and select EndNote
**NOTE - it may be necessary to navigate to the .ris file in your Downloads folder if you do not recieve the prompt shown above when selecting the file in your browser**
Error - After following the steps above, EndNote continues to ask to choose an application
- Navigate to any downloaded .ris file
- Right-click on the .ris file and select "Get Info"
- Expand the "Open with..." menu
- Select EndNote from the list
- If EndNote does not appear in the list, choose "Other" and navigate to Applications/EndNote X9 and select EndNote X9
- Click the "Change All..." button beneath the dropdown, then click continue.
Error - After opening .ris you see a folder view or receive "Library is already in use" message
This means there is an error locating the EndNote library to associate reference with, see video below
- Navigate to and select My EndNote Library.enl
- If you named your library something besides the default name ("My Endnote Library"), choose that name instead