- Find Information
- Research Guides
- POL 6893: Research Proposal (Calder)
POL 6893: Research Proposal (Calder)
Guide for Dr. Calder's Fall 2022 course.
- Getting Started
- Background Resources
- International Governance
- U.S. GovernanceToggle Dropdown
- Political Polls
- Think Tanks & Associations
- Country Information
- Dissertations & Publishing Opportunities
- More Resources
Saving Your Research
Creating a folder on your computer to save articles, book chapters as well as a document with citations.
Key Databases for Journal Articles
Political science researchers rely heavily on journal articles. Library Quick Search is a great place to find these: use search terms related to your topic and limit to journal articles under 'Content Type' and 'Political Science' under discipline.
Library Quick Search
Google Scholar is a great tool for finding journal articles and books in political science. Its strengths are search alerts and the interlinking of sources, primarily through 'times cited' and 'related articles' links.
- EconLit (EBSCO) This link opens in a new windowIndexes and abstracts journal articles and books on economics, as well as Cambridge University Press Abstracts of Working Papers in Economics. Also provides citations for dissertations and articles from collective volumes and full-text book reviews from the Journal of Economic Literature.
- International Political Science Abstracts (Sage) This link opens in a new window
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowSearchable full-text and full-image backfiles of scholarly journals, as well as e-books, and primary resources. Subject areas include the arts, humanities, social sciences, science, math, and business. Includes the Artstor Digital Library containing millions of images from the world's museums, archives, and libraries.
- Nexis Uni (LexisNexis) This link opens in a new windowExtensive coverage of news, legal and business sources. Contains full text U.S. and foreign newspapers, broadcast transcripts, newswires; company, industry and financial information including Company Dossier, and legal sources for U.S. Federal and State case law, statutes, regulations and law reviews. Create a free profile (optional) to save searches and set up alerts. Updated daily. Coverage: 1975-current.
- National Journal This link opens in a new windowProvides electronic access to a number of resources on political science and policy produced by The National Journal, including the periodicals The National Journal, Congress Daily, and Technology Daily; The Almanac of American Politics, providing analysis and data on members of Congress and their states and districts; Poll Track, a database of public opinion surveys from across the country; information on the status of bills before the U.S. Congress; The Hotline, a daily briefing on U.S. political news; and Ad Spotlight, which features news and analysis of political advertisements.
- PAIS International (ProQuest) This link opens in a new windowPAIS, Public Affairs Information Service, indexes issues in the public debate through selective coverage of publications from more than 120 countries. Includes journal articles, books, government documents, statistical information, grey literature, research reports, conference papers, web content, and more, on a variety of subjects.
- Political Science: A Sage Full-Text Collection This link opens in a new windowProvides full-text access to 29 Sage journals on topics in political science related fields.
- ProQuest Congressional This link opens in a new windowComprehensive full image coverage of U.S. Congressional publications 1789-present, Updated daily. Hearings (1824-present); Congressional Research Service Reports (CRS) (1916-present); House and Senate Documents/Reports (1817-present); Legislative Histories (1969-current); Bills & Laws (1776-present); Vote Reports (1987-present); Historical Maps & Images (1789-2007); Congressional Record (daily and bound versions) (1789-present); Regulations; Federal Register and Code of Federal Regulations; Presidential Executive Orders.
Member profiles, committee assignments, financial disclosure statements and voting records.
- Stratfor This link opens in a new windowProvides access to geopolitical information including news, analyses, and future forecasts for various countries, arranged by region. Categories include economics/trade, energy, military, politics, and terrorism/security. Also includes podcasts and a book club forum.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts (ProQuest) This link opens in a new windowIndexes and abstracts thousands of international journals in political science and related fields, including international relations, law, public administration, and public policy.