- Find Information
- Research Guides
- POL 6893: Research Proposal (Calder)
POL 6893: Research Proposal (Calder)
Guide for Dr. Calder's Fall 2022 course.
- CQ Voting and Elections Collection This link opens in a new windowA database of elections data, authoritative analyses, concise explanations, and historical materials to help researchers investigate and understand voting and elections in America from 1789-present.
- ANES: American National Election StudiesInform s explanations of election outcomes by providing data that support rich hypothesis testing, maximize methodological excellence, measure many variables, and promote comparisons across people, contexts, and time.
- City of San Antonio Office of the City ClerkProvides San Antonio election results from 1856 onwards.
- David Leip's Atlast of U.S. Presidential ElectionsThe New York Times cited this website 10/17/10 in an article on the upcoming mid-term elections. Leip provides a good amount of information for free, but more is available with a nominal membership fee.
- Factcheck.orgA project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania that "monitors the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases."
- Federal Elections CommissionDiscloses campaign finance information, to enforce the provisions of the law, the limits and prohibitions on contributions, and to oversee the public funding of Presidential elections.
- A New Nation Votes: American Election Returns 1787-1825A searchable collection of election returns from the earliest years of American democracy. The data were compiled by Philip Lampi. The American Antiquarian Society and Tufts University Digital Collections and Archives have mounted it online.
- OpenSecrets.orgTracks money in U.S. politics and its effect on elections and public policy. Resource for federal campaign contributions, lobbying data and analysis.
- Project Vote SmartProvides information on federal, state, and local elected officials, including voting records, interest group records, and biographical information. It also has information, searchable by state, on ballot measures.
- PoliticoPolitical journalism company based in Arlington County, Virginia, that covers politics and policy in the U.S. and internationally.
- PolitiFactPolitiFact is a fact-checking website that rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials and others who speak up in American politics. PolitiFact staffers research statements and rate their accuracy on the Truth-O-Meter, from True to False. The most ridiculous falsehoods get the lowest rating, Pants on Fire.
- Sunlight Foundation: Election Websites"The Sunlight Foundation is a non-profit, nonpartisan organization that uses the power of the Internet to catalyze greater government openness and transparency, and provides new tools and resources for media and citizens, alike. We are committed to improving access to government information by making it available online, indeed redefining “public” information as meaning “online. . ." - website
- Vital Statistics on American Politics 2015-2016"In addition to such standard subjects as elections, Congress, the presidency, and the judiciary, this book provides information on the media; campaign finances; foreign, social, and economic policy; and a variety of issues related to state and local government." - Introd.
- Elections A to Z by Bob Benenson (Editor); David Tarr (Editor)ISBN: 0872897699Publication Date: 2012-07-03Explains how campaigns and elections, the hallmark of any democracy, are conducted in the United States.
- Guide to U. S. Elections by CQ Press StaffISBN: 1604265361Publication Date: 2009-10-20Provides basic information on the electoral process, in-depth analysis on specific political eras and issues, and everything in between. Includes thorough historical coverage of every major aspect of federal and gubernatorial elections in the United States.
- National Party Conventions 1831-2008 by CQ Press Staff (Editor)ISBN: 160426540XPublication Date: 2009-10-20Provides focused, detailed, and wide-ranging information on national party conventions, which have been a key element of the U.S. electoral process since the early nineteenth century.
- The Oxford Handbook of American Elections and Political Behavior by Jan E. Leighley (Editor); George C. Edwards (General Editor)ISBN: 9780199235476Publication Date: 2010-04-15OPffers comprehensive coverage of the various theoretical approaches to the study of American elections and political behaviour. The chapters are thoughtful and creative, providing broad overviews of intellectual developments and challenges, as well as incisive commentary on the accomplishments of, and challenges facing, scholars of American politics.
- The Oxford Handbook of American Political Parties and Interest Groups by L. Sandy Maisel (Editor); Jeffrey M. Berry (Editor); George C. Edwards (General Editor)ISBN: 9780199542628Publication Date: 2010-04-05Helps scholars assess the current state of scholarship on parties and the directions in which it needs to move. Twenty nine chapters critically assess both the major contributions to a literature and the ways in which the literature has developed.
- Presidential Elections, 1789-2008 by CQ Press Staff (Editor)Call Number: JK528 .P75 2010ISBN: 9781604265415Publication Date: 2009-10-20Explains the evolution of presidential elections and illustrates the means by which the president is elected, including the complexities of the Electoral College