- Find Information
- Research Guides
- Census Reports & Statistics
Census Reports & Statistics
Federal, State & International Census statistics
- Getting Started
- 1950 Decennial Census Records
- U.S. Decennial Census & American Community Survey
- Race and Ethnicity in the Census
- 2020 U.S. Decennial Census
- U.S. Census Tract Data
- U.S. & State Census Population and Non-Population Schedules
- Other Government Surveys
- Puerto Rico
- International Statistical Agencies
Race and Ethnicity in the Census
- Census chief prioritizing better count of non-White populationsWashington Post March 12, 2023 by Silvia Foster-Frau
- Race and Ethnicity in the United States: 2010 Census and 2020 CensusAn interactive data visualization to identify trends for the nation, state, and county.
- Pew Research Center: Hispanic Trends ProjectPew Research Center is a nonpartisan organization that conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, and media analysis.
- What Census Calls Us: A Historical TimelineThis graphic displays the different race, ethnicity and origin categories used in the U.S. decennial census, from the first one in 1790 to the latest count in 2020.
- Census History: Counting Hispanics2010 Report from Pew Research Center.
- ** Race and Multiracial Americans in the U.S. Census2015 Pew Report from Pew Research Center.
- How the U.S. Hispanic Population is Changing2017 Pew Report summary of Hispanic population trends back to 1980.
- 2015 National Content Test: Race and Ethnicity Analysis ReportEmpirical research that contributes to the planning for the content of the 2020 Census race/ethnicity question(s).
- What to Know About the Citizenship Question the Census Bureau is Planning to Ask in 2020March 2018 Pew Research Center Report
- Data Gem Video: How to Access Race Data on data.census.gov (4 minutes)Discover how to find population totals and characteristics across race groups using the advanced search on data.census.gov.
- DATA GEM: How Can I Access Data about Race and Ethnic Diversity from the 2020 and 2010 Census?Census Bureau uses a diversity index to measure the probability that two people chosen at random in a given area will be from different race and ethnic groups.
- Asian identity in the U.S.Pew report 5/8/2023
- Being Asian in AmericaPew report 5/11/2023
- A census mistake reveals surprising details about U.S. Hispanics and LatinosWashington Post (subscription) 5/19/23
- data.census.gov (Explore Census Data) This link opens in a new windowPrimary search tool to browse and access U.S. census data and build custom, downloadable tables, charts, reports, maps and data visualizations. Includes detailed data on population, housing, economics, and geographies from the Decennial Census, American Community Survey, Economic Census and other surveys.
Topics and geographies are easy to search using the single search bar, or access more detailed data using the filters in the Advanced Search option.
Access data.census.gov tutorials.
- Historical Statistics of the U.S. (Cambridge) This link opens in a new windowHistorical statistics for the U.S. from colonial times through the 20th century, covering population, work and welfare, economic structure and performance, economic sectors, as well as governance and international relations. Recently updated.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States This link opens in a new windowAn authoritative and comprehensive summary of U.S. social, political and economic data from Federal and State agencies as well as private organizations. All tables are available for download in PDF and Excel formats. Check original sources of data to explore more detailed information. Excellent introductory essay at beginning of each topic section. Updated annually.
Earlier editions (1970-current) accessible using drop down menu. Archived government editions (1878-2012) available free at U.S. Census Bureau and Cybercemetery sites. Tip Sheet.
- Statistical Insight (ProQuest) This link opens in a new windowStatistical information by U.S. Federal and State agencies, international intergovernmental organizations, professional, trade and independent research organizations, commercial publishers and universities. Abstracts/indexing from 1973 with significant full-text online 1995 to present. Additional older content is available on microfiche using ASI, SRI or IIS number in the record.
- Hispanic Origin Data TablesMany tables on census.gov are in downloadable XLS, CSV and PDF file formats. Tables can be modified, bookmarked/saved, printed and downloaded.
- Examining the Racial and Ethnic Diversity of Adults and ChildrenThe 2020 Census shows the overall U.S. population in 2020 was more racially and ethnically diverse than it was a decade earlier. But how racially and ethnically diverse were different age groups within the population?
- Map Showing the Distribution of the Slave Population of the Southern States of the United States 1860.Compiled from the Census of 1860. From the Library of Congress