- Find Information
- Research Guides
- African American Studies
African American Studies
Oxford African American Studies Center
Check out the Oxford African American Studies Center for primary resources, copies of speeches, images, and more, featuring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oxford African American Studies Center This link opens in a new windowContains major full-text reference resources on African American and African history and culture, including "Encyclopedia of African American History"; and the "African American National Biography", as well as articles from other major reference sources. Only a few people can use this database at one time.
His Life in Newspapers
Browse a historical newspaper collection to see the stories and headlines following the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- African American Newspapers (Readex) This link opens in a new windowDatabase includes 270 African American newspapers from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Historical Newspapers (ProQuest) This link opens in a new windowSearch the full-text/full-image of seven major U.S. and two major British newspapers: New York Times (1851-2018), Washington Post (1877-2005), Wall Street Journal (1889-2010), Christian Science Monitor (1908-2008), Los Angeles Times (1881-1997), Chicago Tribune (1849-1998), Austin American Statesman (1871-1980), the Guardian (1821-2003) Observer (1791-2003), New York Amsterdam News (1922-2010), and the Chicago Defender (1909-2010). Coverage begins with the first issue of each title.
Explore music from the Civil Rights Era streaming through these databases:
- Music Online: African American Music Reference (Alexander Street) This link opens in a new windowProvides access to biographies, chronologies, sheet music, images, lyrics, liner notes, and discographies chronicling the diverse history and culture of the African American experience through music. Includes comprehensive coverage of blues, jazz, spirituals, civil rights songs, slave songs, minstrelsy, rhythm and blues, gospel, and other forms of black American musical expression.
This database can also be cross-searched with other music databases in Music Online.
Check out documentaries on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. through streaming media databases like Kanopy or browse the catalog for DVDs:
- Kanopy This link opens in a new windowDigitally streams thousands of popular films and documentaries, as well as educational videos in the Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, Business, and K-12 Education. Includes distributors such as PBS, Criterion Collection, Film Movement, Flicker Alley, and California Newsreel.
Check Quicksearch or ask us in chat for many more juvenile literature resources on the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- My Brother Martin by Christine King Farris; Chris K. Soentpiet (Illustrator)Call Number: JPL 3rd Floor, Juvenile Literature E185.97.K5 F37 2003
- My Dream of Martin Luther King by Faith Ringgold (Illustrator)Call Number: JPL 3rd Floor, Juvenile Literature E185.97.K5 R56 1998
- Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport; Bryan Collier (Illustrator)Call Number: DT Juvenile Literature E185.97 .K5 R36 2001
Find many more books on the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., through QuickSearch or by asking the Blue Crew.
- The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr by Clayborne CarsonCall Number: JPL 3rd Floor E185.97.K5 A52 1998
- Martin Luther King by Godfrey HodgsonCall Number: JPL 3rd Floor E185.97 .H64 2010
- Behind the Public Veil by Lewis V. BaldwinCall Number: E-Book (click title to access)
- Martin Luther King by Angela HerbertCall Number: E-Book (click title to access)ISBN: 3319392352
- Misremembering Dr. King by Jennifer J. YancoCall Number: E-Book (click title to access)
- King by Ho Che AndersonCall Number: JPL 3rd Floor E185.97.K5 A547 2010
- Dream and Legacy by Michael L. Clemons (Editor); Donathan L. Brown (Editor); William H. L. Dorsey (Editor)Call Number: E-Book (click title to access)