- Find Information
- Research Guides
- African American Studies
African American Studies
- Black Male Education Research Collection This link opens in a new windowThe Black Male Education Research Collection provides a comprehensive collection of scholarly articles for academics, mentors, and anyone in search of literature on this topic. The focus extends from kindergarten through higher education and includes everything from mentoring, psychological health, and sports/athletics. This collection of research is composed primarily of peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Education: A Sage Full-Text Collection This link opens in a new windowProvides full-text access to 36 journals published by Sage on topics in education such as curriculum and theory, research methods, diversity, counseling, budgeting, law, standards, and technology. Covers early childhood through adult and continuing education, including special and gifted education.
- ERIC (EBSCO) This link opens in a new windowERIC, the Educational Resource Information Center, provides access to education literature and resources. The database provides unlimited access to more than 1.3 million bibliographic records of journal articles and other education-related materials, with hundreds of new records added twice weekly. If available, links to full text are included.
History of African American Education in Texas
- The American Dream Through the Eyes of Black African Immigrants in Texas by Ami R. MooreCall Number: F395 .N4 M66 2013
- African Americans in South Texas History by Bruce A. GlasrudCall Number: E185.93.T4 A39 2011Also available as e-book.
- Before Brown by Gary M. LavergneCall Number: LC212.722 .T4 L38 2010
- Reforming Jim Crow by Kimberley S. JohnsonCall Number: E185.61 .J694 2010
- Early Texas Schools by Mary S. Black; Bruce F. Jordan (Photographer)Call Number: LA370 .B53 2008
- The Brackenridge Colored School by Jerelyne Castleberry WilliamsCall Number: LC2802 .T4 W55 2006
- Integrating the 40 Acres: The Fifty-year Struggle for Racial Equality at the University of Texas by Dwonna GoldstoneCall Number: LC214.22.T48 G65 2006
- Advancing Democracy: African Americans and the Struggle for Access and Equity in Higher Education in Texas by Amilcar ShabazzCall Number: LC214.22 .T48 S53 2004
- Private Black Colleges in Texas, 1865-1954 by Michael R. HeintzeCall Number: LC2802 .T4 H45 1985Also available as e-book.
Biographies of Teachers & Administrators
- To Tell the Truth Freely by Mia BayCall Number: E185.97 .W55 B39 2009
- A Class of Their Own by Adam FaircloughCall Number: LC2802 .S9 F35 2007Also available as e-book.
- The Racial Politics of Booker T. Washington by Donald Cunnigen; Rutledge M. Dennis; Myrtle Gonza GlascoeCall Number: GN495.4 .R47 v.13
- Mary Mcleod Bethune by Audrey Thomas McCluskey (Editor); Elaine M. Smith (Editor)Call Number: E185.97 .B34 A25 2001