Creative Commons Licenses
Considerations for License Selection
Choose carefully and consider that:
- Licenses are a legal agreement that cannot be changed.
- Licenses apply until the copyright expires.
- You must own the copyright to the work.
Carefully consider these questions when selecting a license:
- What are your reasons for sharing?
- How do you want others to use your work?
- Do you want to allow others to create adaptations?
Choosing Your License
Best Practices Attribution
TASL: Best practice attribution to receive credit for your work and to credit others:
A=Author (provide link)
S=Source (provide link)
L=License (link to the CC license deed)
Each of these attributes is important in order to ensure that you always receive credit for your work.
Applying a License
Keep the user in mind:
- Make the license clear and visible.
- Make it easy for the user to understand.
- Avoid contradictory terms.
- Use the CC License Chooser to generate code for your website.
Attributions & License
This work "Creative Commons Licenses" is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License and is a derivative of the September 2020 Creative Commons Certificate Course by Creative Commons, also licensed CC BY 4.0. DeeAnn Ivie adapted content from the Creative Commons Certificate Course adding it to the "Creative Commons Licenses" Libguide.