Elsevier Negotiations Background
TLCUA: What We Stand For
The scholarly communication system is vital and must be sustained -- but it needs to change.
Scholarly communication should better serve the mission and values of our institutions and give less priority to the shareholders of for-profit companies.
Together, we can:
- Reduce costs
- Improve access to research
- Empower faculty with greater control and ownership of their scholarly work
- Change negotiation dynamics
As a coalition of major research institutions across the state of Texas, we are stronger together.
TLCUA Goals for Elsevier Negotiations
- New contract by 12/31/21.
- Balanced approach to faculty ownership and copyright of scholarly work
- More open and sustainable scholarly publishing ecosystem
- Accelerate new discoveries by making research more widely accessible and visible
- Reduced costs and reduce annual price increases
Our goal is an agreement with Elsevier, but we are prepared, if necessary, to walk away from negotiations with a plan for alternative access.