- Find Information
- Research Guides
University of Texas at San Antonio
San Antonio, TX 78249-0671
Finding Science Information
To get started finding information in the sciences, it's useful to know a little about the Science Information Life Cycle. The life cycle of information is different whether you're in the Sciences, Social Sciences, or Humanities. This tutorial from the UC Irvine Libraries is designed to help you understand the unique characteristics of information production in the Sciences so that you can use library resources effectively and efficiently:
Databases are the best way to find scholarly, peer-reviewed journal articles and e-prints. Several key databases are listed below, but if you're having trouble finding something, try one of the many databases listed on our Mathematics page. And don't forget to click "more" to see additional Mathematics resources.
- American Mathematical Society (AMS) Journals (EBSCO) This link opens in a new windowProvides full-text access to nine journals published by the American Mathematical Society, including Journal of the AMS, Memoirs of the AMS, Mathematics of Computations, Transactions of the AMS, Proceedings of the AMS, Transactions of the Moscow Mathematical Society, Theory of Probability and Mathematical Statistics, Conformal Geometry and Dynamics (ECGD), Representation Theory (ERT), and Quarterly of Applied Mathematics.
- MathSciNet This link opens in a new windowProvides searchable access to over 55 years of Mathematical Reviews and Current Mathematical Publications.
- SIAM Journals Online This link opens in a new windowProvides full-image access to journals published by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. Journal issues dating from 1952 to 1996 are located in LOCUS, the online archive.
- Web of Science This link opens in a new windowSearch current and retrospective information from 12,000+ high-impact research journals worldwide. Provides seamless access to Science Citation Expanded (1900- ), Social Sciences Citation Index (1900- ), Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1975- ), Conference Proceedings Index (1990- ), and Emerging Sources Citation Index (2005-2017). Cited reference searching enables tracking prior research, gauging the impact of research, and to locate articles that share common references.
- arXiv.org This link opens in a new windowarXiv is a highly-automated electronic archive and distribution server for research articles. Fields covered by arXiv include physics, mathematics, computer science, nonlinear sciences, quantitative biology, quantitative finance, statistics, electrical engineering and systems science, and economics. arXiv is maintained and operated by Cornell University Library.
- SpringerLink This link opens in a new window
- ScienceDirect This link opens in a new window
- EBSCOhost Databases This link opens in a new windowA major online bibliographic and full-text database service that offers access to scholarly content in the humanities, education, business, the social sciences, health and medicine, and the sciences. List of individual databases many of them indexed with full text and/or images.