- Find Information
- Research Guides
- Special Education
Search Our Juvenile Collection
The UTSA Libraries has juvenile literature section on the 2nd floor of the JPL as well as in the Downtown Campus's Library in the Buena Vista Street Building.
To find available juvenile literature, use our handy search box below and complete the following steps:
- Copy down the call number, paying attention to what library your book is at
- Go get your book
- If you have any questions - just ask us for help!
Library Quick SearchJuvenile Literature
The UTSA Libraries have collections of elementary and secondary state-adopted textbooks (both students and teacher editions) at both the Downtown and Main Campus libraries. We also have a nice selection of manipulatives for all subjects.
The best way to search for sate adopted textbooks is to use our Library Quick Search Box and search using the terms "state adopted textbook" (complete with the quotation marks) and then the subject you need (for example, "state adopted textbook" algebra). Please note we do not have any new state adopted textbooks newer than 2012.
All of these materials can be checked out. Please visit our page for the policies for checking out these great educational materials.
At the JPL, these materials are located on the third floor, next to the Juvenile Literature Section, in the Curriculum Collection.
At the Downtown Campus, the Curriculum Collection is located near the Juvenile Literature Section - all within the Buena Vista Street Building.
Books at UTSA Libraries
- The Big Book of Special Education Resources by Roger Pierangelo; George GiulianiCall Number: E-bookISBN: 1631440063Publication Date: 2015Save time and take the guesswork out of your search for information and materials by turning to this definitive guide. Practical and easy to use, this ready-reference is borne out of extensive research and numerous interviews with parents and professionals to ensure selection of only the highest-caliber and most sought-after resources. Covering everything from federal agencies and professional organizations to IEP information and lesson plans, and providing extensive resources for all 50 states.
- Handbook of Research on Special Education Teacher Preparation by Erica D. McCray (Editor); Mary T. Brownell (Editor); Benjamin Lignugaris/Kraft (Editor); Paul T. Sindelar (Editor)Call Number: JPL 3rd Floor: LC3969.45 .H354 2014ISBN: 0415893089Publication Date: 2014What special education teachers do often differs substantially from what general education teachers do and, as a result, compilations of research on teacher preparation often include no more than cursory mention of the roles, needs and issues facing special education teachers. The purpose of this handbook is to expand our knowledge of teacher education to include research on the preparation of special education teachers.
- Special education : Contemporary Perspectives for School Professionals by Marilyn D. FriendCall Number: DTL: LC3981 .F75 2014ISBN: 0132836742Publication Date: 2014This title is only available as a loose-leaf version with Pearson eText, or an electronic book.
- Inclusive Special Education by Garry HornbyCall Number: E-bookISBN: 9781493914821Publication Date: 2014Much has been written about special education and about inclusive education, but there have been few attempts to pull these two concepts and approaches together. This book does just that: sets special education within the context of inclusive education.
- Response to Intervention (RTI) and English Learners by Jana Echevarria; Cara Richards-Tutor; MaryEllen VogtCall Number: JPL 3rd Floor: PE1128.A2 E25 2015ISBN: 9780133431070Publication Date: 2014This authoritative guide for ensuring all students are able to achieve high standards is an essential resource for educators in any school with English learners. It provides practical help for designing and implementing effective RTI programs using the SIOP® Model, and ensuring the appropriate type of instruction that English learners need and deserve.
- Learning about Learning Disabilities by Bernice Wong (Editor); Deborah L. Butler (Editor)Call Number: E-bookISBN: 0123884098Publication Date: 2012The Fourth Edition of this popular title presents 80% new material, keeping the chapters up to date in this fast-moving field. With new contributors, and 11 new chapters, coverage is both comprehensive and thorough, encompassing the classification and identification of learning disabilities, learning disabilities in reading, writing, math, and social studies, interventions, and the issues germane to different age ranges of the learning disabled: children, adolescents, and adults.
- Preparing Effective Special Education Teachers by Nancy MamlinCall Number: E-bookISBN: 1462503071Publication Date: 2012What tools are in the toolkit of an excellent special educator, and how can teacher preparation programs provide these tools in the most effective way? This book identifies what special education teachers need to know to work competently with students with a wide variety of learning challenges and disabilities.
- Handbook of Special Education by James M. Kauffman (Editor); Daniel P. Hallahan (Editor)Call Number: JPL 3rd Floor: LC3965 .H262 2011ISBN: 9780415800716Publication Date: 2011Special education is now an established part of public education in the United States - by law and by custom. This book helps profile and bring greater clarity to this sprawling and growing field.
- The Law and Special Education by Mitchell L. YellCall Number: DTL: KF4210 .Y45 2012ISBN: 9780131376090Publication Date: 2011In the highly litigated area of Special Education, it is imperative that professionals in the field understand the legal requirements of providing a free appropriate public education to students with disabilities. This indispensable textbook prepares the reader with the essential skills to locate pertinent information in law libraries, on the Internet, and other sources to keep abreast of the constant changes and developments in the field.
- Action Research in Special Education by Susan M. Bruce; Gerald J. Pine; Christine MulcaheyCall Number: JPL 3rd Floor: LB1028.4 .B78 2010ISBN: 0807750913Publication Date: 2010This is the first book about action research devoted to the complex issues faced by children with disabilities and their teachers. The authors begin by providing the historical and philosophical underpinnings of action research and then present a framework for conducting action research in special education.
- The Sage Handbook of Special Education by Lani Florian (Editor)Call Number: E-bookISBN: 1412907284Publication Date: 2007The SAGE Handbook of Special Education brings together the most up to date knowledge of this area and will serve as the major source book of authoritative information and ideas about current and future directions for special education. It aims to examine the intricate relations between theory, research, and practice, and places a particular emphasis on international policies such as Education for All, and inclusive education as a strategy for achieving it.