- Find Information
- Research Guides
- Primary Sources
A guide to the best resources for primary sources in UTSA databases, online digital collections, government sources, and more.
- Getting Started
- Find Primary Sources
- Historical Newspapers This link opens in a new window
- Historical Maps This link opens in a new window
- ProQuest Congressional This link opens in a new windowComprehensive full image coverage of U.S. Congressional publications 1789-present, Updated daily. Hearings (1824-present); Congressional Research Service Reports (CRS) (1916-present); House and Senate Documents/Reports (1817-present); Legislative Histories (1969-current); Bills & Laws (1776-present); Vote Reports (1987-present); Historical Maps & Images (1789-2007); Congressional Record (daily and bound versions) (1789-present); Regulations; Federal Register and Code of Federal Regulations; Presidential Executive Orders.
Member profiles, committee assignments, financial disclosure statements and voting records.
- Historic Documents Series Online (Sage) This link opens in a new windowPublished annually since 1972, each volume in the Historic Documents Series includes approximately one hundred documents covering the most significant events of the year. These documents range from presidential speeches, international agreements, and Supreme Court decisions to U.S. governmental reports, scientific findings, and cultural discussions.
- Territorial Papers of the United States (Carter Papers)Official records of the 28 territories established between 1787 and 1912 to south and west of the 13 original colonies including Mississippi, Indiana, Florida, Wisconsin and Michigan. Affairs in the territories were under the general direction of the Department of State until 1873 and the Department of the Interior after 1873.
From the National Archives and available online in HathiTrust
- National Archives CatalogSearch the National Archives of the United States. To find digital records that are available for viewing or download, check the radio button for "Archival Materials Online."
- Charters of FreedomFrom the National Archives. The Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and U.S. Constitution. Background, history, and images.
- Our Documents - 100 Milestone Documents100 milestone documents, compiled by the National Archives and Records Administration, and drawn primarily from its nationwide holdings. The documents chronicle United States history from 1776 to 1965. Includes the Articles of Confederation, Monroe Doctrine, Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, Emancipation Proclamation, Chinese Exclusion Act, Truman Doctrine, Marshall Plan, and more.
- Milestone Documents in American History by Paul Finkelman; Bruce A. LeshCall Number: E173 .M55 2008v. 1. 1763-1823
v. 2. 1824-1887
v. 3. 1888-1955
v. 4. 1956-2003
- Founders OnlineCorrespondence and other writings of 6 major shapers of the U.S.:
George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams (and family), Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, and James Madison. Over 149,000 searchable documents, fully annotated, from the authoritative Founding Fathers Papers projects.
"The National Archives, through its National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), has entered into a cooperative agreement with The University of Virginia Press to create this site and make freely available online the historical documents of the Founders of the United States of America."
- Foreign Relations of the United States - FRUS (1945-1988)The official documentary historical record of major U.S. foreign policy decisions and significant diplomatic activity. Available in a web-based edition or downloadable e-book edition. Search within the volumes or browse them by administration. From the 1800s through the Reagan Administration. Department of State, Office of the Historian.
- Foreign Broadcast Information ServiceHistory Part I: 1941-1947
History of the early, pre-CIA, years of the Foreign Broadcast Information Service. Declassified document. Available online in PDF.
- Digital National Security Archive (DNSA) (ProQuest) This link opens in a new windowDNSA contains a wealth of significant primary documents relating to U.S. foreign and military policy since 1945 obtained through the U.S. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Divided into 53 collections on Cuba, Mexico, South and Central America, Afghanistan, the former Soviet Union, South Africa, Iran, China, Korea, Vietnam, Philippines and other areas. Documents include memos, diplomatic dispatches, meeting notes, independent reports, briefing papers, White House communications, emails, and confidential letters. Also see National Security Archive.
- Immigration: Records of the INS - 1880-1930 (ProQuest History Vault) This link opens in a new windowTurn of the century files cover immigration of various groups to the United States, including Japanese and Chinese immigration, European immigration, and Mexican immigration between 1906-1930. There are also extensive files on the regulation of prostitution and white slavery and on suppression of radical aliens.
- U.K. Parliamentary ArchivesProvides links to available digitized British government documents as well as information and primary sources on a variety of historical topics.
- Official Gazettes and Civil Society DocumentationA digital collection of official gazettes and other key historical government documentation from ten African and Persian Gulf countries where the integrity of the public record is at risk.
Historical Census Data & Statistics
- Historical Statistics of the U.S. (Cambridge) This link opens in a new windowHistorical statistics for the U.S. from colonial times through the 20th century, covering population, work and welfare, economic structure and performance, economic sectors, as well as governance and international relations. Recently updated.
- Census Atlas of the United StatesData from decennial censuses prior to 2000 support nearly 150 maps and figures, providing context and an historical perspective for many of the topics presented.
- RAND State Statistics This link opens in a new windowA comprehensive portfolio of statistics for all 50 states. Datasets are broken down into the following categories: Business and Economics, Community, Education, Energy and Environment, Government Finance, Health and Socioeconomic, Population and Demographics. View data on a map. Dates of coverage vary.
- RAND Texas Statistics This link opens in a new windowA comprehensive portfolio of statistics for the state of Texas. Datasets are broken down into the following categories: Business and Economics, Community, Education, Energy and Environment, Government Finance, Health and Socioeconomic, Population and Demographics. View data on a map. Dates of coverage vary.
Historical Labor Data
- Manpower in Economic Growth: The American Record Since 1800. by Stanley LebergottCall Number: HD8066 .L38 1964U.S. Labor data from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, not easily found elsewhere.
- Europa World Plus This link opens in a new windowProvides access to the online version of the Europa World Year Book and the nine-volume Regional Surveys of the World series. Includes economic, political, and geographic background information, as well as statistical data and analysis by country. Directory information is provided for governmental, society, media, business enterprise, and international organizations. Only a few people can use this database at one time.
- CQ Political Handbook of the World This link opens in a new windowMaps, quick facts, and an overview of each country including government, political parties and communication.
- CIA World Factbook Country ProfilesThe World Factbook provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities. Our Reference tab includes: maps of the major world regions, as well as Flags of the World, a Physical Map of the World, a Political Map of the World, a World Oceans map, and a Standard Time Zones of the World map.