Measuring Research Impact
What is Research Impact?
"There’s amazing potential here on the frontier of science online; researchers shouldn’t be afraid to explore and to stake out what they want in terms of how people view their work" - Euan Adie, founder of Altmetrics
Research impact describes the effect research has in areas beyond academia, including benefits and influences to society, culture, the environment, and the economy. Impact is used to measure scholarly productivity at the levels of author, article, and journal.
Why is Research Impact Important?
Understanding research impact can help with:
- Justification for tenure and promotion
- Obtaining government funding and grants
- Learning how previous research is being utilized
- Finding out who is using previous research
- Identifying other researchers and potential collaborators in the field
- Decisions about where to publish to achieve the best exposure