- Find Information
- Research Guides
- AAS 3013 / AMS 3343: African American Cultural Experiences (Gentry)
AAS 3013 / AMS 3343: African American Cultural Experiences (Gentry)
This guide was created to help find resources for your research project on the presentatuion of Blackness in popular magazines.
Researching Using Microfilm
If you are going to be researching using microfilm, please look at this guide
- African American Newspapers (Readex) This link opens in a new windowDatabase includes 270 African American newspapers from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Ethnic NewsWatch (ProQuest) This link opens in a new windowFull-text current and historical newspapers, magazines, and journals of the ethnic and minority presses of the U.S. and Canada. Provides the unique viewpoint of Hispanic, Native Peoples, African American, Caribbean, Asian/Pacific Islander, European/Eastern European, and Jewish communities. Dates of coverage: 1959-current.
- Oxford African American Studies Center This link opens in a new windowContains major full-text reference resources on African American and African history and culture, including "Encyclopedia of African American History"; and the "African American National Biography", as well as articles from other major reference sources. Only a few people can use this database at one time.
- Black Studies (Alexander Street) This link opens in a new windowThis collection contains documentaries, interviews and archival video footage covering the black experience. Subjects include history, politics, art, culture, family structure, gender relationships and economic issues. Also included: SNCC Legacy Video Collection, over fifty hours of formal addresses, panel discussions, and programs commemorating the founding of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.
Individual Journal Titles
Titles can be found by using the Journal Titles tab on the library homepage.
- About…TimeOnline access from 1994 - 2011
- American VisionsOnline access from 1986 - 2000
- Black Enterprise* Online access from 1987 - present
* JPL 4th Floor, Microfilm Cabinet E185.8 .B5
v.10 (1979/1980) - v.25 (1995:July)
* and Google Books 1970 - 2000
- Colored American Magazine* Online access from 1901
* Digitized online access 1900-1909 from The Colored American
- Crisis* Online 1997- present
* Digitized online access from Google Books 1911 - 2011
- Down Beat*JPL 3rd Floor, Current Periodicals Shelved from 2018 until 2020
*JPL 4th Floor, Microfilm Cabinet ML1 .D72
v.4 (1937), v.6 (1939) - v.61 (1994)
- Ebony* Online access 1945 - present
* Digitized online access online access from Google Books 1959 - 2008
*JPL 4th Floor, Microfilm Cabinet AP2 .E165
v.1 (1945:Nov.) - v.50 (1995:Oct.)
- EmergeOnline access 1989 - 2000
- EssenceOnline access 1988 - present
- FaderOnline access 2006 - 2008
- Heart and SoulOnline access from 1995 - 2003
- Hear Us Emerging Sisters (HUES)Online access 1995 - 1999
- Jet* Online access 1988 - 2014
Digitized online access from Google Books 1951 - 2008
- Negro Digest/Black World* Digitized online access online access from Google Books 1961 - 1976
* JPL 4th Floor, Microfilm Cabinet E185.5 .N3815
v.19:no.1 (1969:Nov.) - v.19:no.6 (1970:Apr.)
v.19:no.7 (1970:May) - v.25:no.6 (1976)
- O: the Oprah MagazineOnline access 2003 - present
- SavoyOnline access 2001 - 2005
- Vibe* Online access 2017 - present
* Digitized online access from Google Books 1993 - 2008
- YSBOnline access 1993 - 1996
- African American Newspapers from Chronicling America (Library of Congress)Currently includes 43 African American newspapers published around the United States from 1836-1922. The number of available issues per paper varies. Includes the Dallas Express.
- Obsidian Collection with Google Arts & CultureThe Obsidian Collection Archives preserve and share images from Black Legacy newspapers and Black photographers for future generations.