ART 1003: Two Dimensional Foundations
Finding Background Information About Artists and Art Movements / Styles / Periods
Background information can provide:
- A definition of specific terminology
- An overview of a topic (the important who's, what's, when's, etc.)
- An introduction to key issues
- Biographical information
- A list or link to additional authoritative resources
Background information can be found in print or online encyclopedias, textbooks, biographical dictionaries or directories, and basic introductory texts.
Find Books on Your Topic
Sample Searches for Library Quick Search
The name of a movement. If the name is two or more words, put it in quotes:
The name of an artist in quotes:
The name of a work of art. It is better to look under the name of the artist, unless the work is extremely well known like:
Search by the name of a reputable book series and/or publisher. Here are some we recommend:
"world of art" "thames and hudson"
"movements in modern art" cambridge
"movements in modern art" tate
"oxford history of art"
"themes and movements" phaidon
Art Survey Books
Click links for availability and location.
To find authoritative and credible information about contemporary artists, visit:
- The artist's personal website
- The website for the galleries that represent them
- The museum websites that own some of their work.