EndNote is a tool for organizing your references and not everyone will organize in the same way. Find the thing that works for you. Some people like to have individual libraries by topic, others prefer multiple groups within a single library.
Contains any reference that you have not filed manually in a Group. Even if a reference goes into a smart group, it will stay in "Unfiled" until you drag and drop the reference into a group that you created.
There are 2 kinds of Groups: Manual Groups and Smart Groups. You will use each one differently.
Go to "Groups" in the tool bar. Select "Create Group". Give your group a name that is meaningful to you.
*Warning! Double-clicking on the words "My Groups" and entering a new name, will rename the first group in the series rather than create a new group.
|To file references one at a time. This is most useful when you want to ensure that specific references wind up in a file.|
Go to "Groups" in the tool bar. Select "Create Smart Group". Give your group a name that is meaningful to you.
*Note: you can define your group in several ways from keyword to author. However, be aware that any reference that fits the definition you create will wind up in the Smart Group folder.
|To file references in bulk. This is handy if you have a lot of references with a keyword or an author in common and want to bulk deposit them in one file.|
1. Go to "References" in the tool bar. Select "Find Duplicates".
2. The system will retrieve duplicate records and ask which one you wish to keep. You may skip over a pair of duplicates if you would like to maintain both references. However, if you select to keep one, the other record will be moved to the trash.
1. Drag and drop the reference you wish to delete to the "Trash" file on the left-hand side of the screen.
*Multiple adjacent References may be selected for deletion by holding down the "shift" key and using the up or down arrows or by tapping on your tracer pad.
*Multiple non-adjacent References may be selected for deletion by holding down the command key and using your tracer pad to arrow to and select them.
2. Select the reference you wish to delete, then go to "References" in the tool bar. Select "Move References to Trash".
3. Select the items you wish to delete, then hold down command D.
CAUTION: Be sure that you really wish to delete the reference. The trash will empty when you exit the EndNote program and your reference will be irretrievable.